BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Wednesday, August 17, 2011

12 Week Ultrasound Results

So I know it has been a good while since we had the screening ultrasound, I have been so busy loving the results that I forgot to post them.

The ultrasound:
     Our background risk for a baby with Down syndrome (based just on my age and that we have Levi) was 1 in 145.  The ultrasound itself went well, we loved getting a peek at our Bitty.  The baby had a nasal bone, which is something that tends to be absent in children with Down syndrome.  However the nucal fold measurement was a tad on the high side.  Baby measured a 2.6, they normally start to worry at 2.5, but because of our history, they didnt even want to see it that high.  The ultrasound was followed by blood work.  Our risks of a baby with Down syndrome after the ultrasound was 1 in 32.



The Blood work:
     The blood test they ran is called a PAPP-A (Pregnancy Associated Plasma-Protein)  If your interested in a detailed explanation look HERE.  My screen came back within the 'normal' range.  <3  They then combined the results of the PAPP-A with the ultrasound numbers, what they came back with is our final risks for chromosome abnormalities....For Ds our over all risk came back at 1 in 436...If you noticed this is higher than our background risk.  I talked with the doctor and he said that we are back in the range we would have been in if we did not already have a child with a chromosome abnormality, so we are back in the range for a mother my age with no prior abnormalities.

This was one of the best things I have heard in a long time.  I could have kissed Dr. Wexler through the phone!!!!!  I was in tears I was so happy.  To know that after a VERY long year of sadness we have a really great chance of holding a pink, screaming, healthy baby again was extremely overwhelming!

So I am glad to share the good news with everyone, I know I told you I would share when I was ready, and oddly enough I think I would have posted sooner if the news had been bad....I have been so busy enjoying this pregnancy (when I am not sick lol) and every kick and tumble that I didnt really need (for me) to write about the results.  We are thrilled!!!!

0 comments: