BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Monday, May 23, 2011

The Challenge Begins! Day 1!

So today is the day.  Today we start the Flats and Handwashing Challenge...Just so happens that the hubby got to kick it off with the first diaper change of the day.  :)  He did a pretty good job too.

Last Friday I started prepping my flats, I couldn't bring myself to put them into the washing machine due to the nature of the challenge so I boiled them in 2 batches of 6 on the stove with a small squirt of dawn.



Then I used rinsed them until there were no more sudsy bubbles.




I gave the my Camp Style Washer a go with a couple dirty flats from trying different fits and folds, as well as to wash a pair of undies from my older son.

Here is our Camp Style Washer all ready to go...



Filling with water for our initial rinse:



Close the lid:


And start washing...Think churning butter :)


After draining the rinse water:


 Filling with HOT water for the wash cycle:


I added 1 tsp of Rockin Green Diaper Detergent:


Here is what our water looked like...pretty murky, these were pretty clean diapers tho, only a little pee :) 


 The water after the final rinse-no sudsy bubbles, and clear water:


 Then we wrung them out well and hung to dry on our drying rack:
Ayden decided to help and also though he should 'dry' his snuggle blanket <3


 3 Clean diapers (receiving blankets) and 1 pair of clean Lighting McQueen undies lol



They came out nice and clean, no issues.  It was not at all hard either, the whole process took me around 10-15 minutes to complete




Saturday and Sunday we separated our stash and parted with our 'luxury diapers'

The new stash on the left and luxury dipes/pail liners/boosters ect on the right.



Our stash for this week consists of the following:

12 Swaddlebee's flats
10 Old receiving blankets as emergency back up or doublers for outings/bed time
3 Wool Covers (1 Longie, 1 Shortie, and 1 wrap)
1 PUL cover (Thirsties Duo Wrap Size 2)
Cloth wipes
Wipe spray-we make our own with some water, a squirt of baby soap and a couple drops of essential oil
Coconut oil-for sore/red bottom

So far we are doing well...We have 3 dirty flats in the bucket.  Levi has on a doubled flat since it is nap time, and Ayden has had no accidents lol.

I promise to have pictures of Levi in the flats tonight or tommorrow...lol...he NEVER sits still long when its changing time, but I WILL get at least 1.

There are lots of families that are taking this challenge, and lots of them are bloggers, I look forward to reading everyone's experience.





0 comments: